Lease your land for woodland planting
We are always looking to increase the amount of new productive planting. We are offering the opportunity for farmers and other landholders to lease their land to Forestry and Land Scotland so we can establish new productive woodland, and then hand it back to the landholder at the end of the lease period.
This approach is designed to complement our programme of acquiring land for woodland creation where it will provide significant public benefit.
Applications can be submitted for consideration at any time.
The concept has three main components:
- Lease – agree and conclude lease terms
- Planning - design, consultation and approval of planting design
- Woodland creation - the work on the ground.
Private sector providers may have a role in each component.
Offer and funding
There are two routes to lease:
- This option is intended for the majority of farmers and landholder applicants, who wish Forestry and Land Scotland to manage and deliver all of the planning and woodland establishment operations.
- Forestry and Land Scotland will enter into a ten-year lease for land that meets the criteria and fund a proportion of legal costs. We will prepare a forest design plan and establish productive woodland, but will not expect to pay a significant rental.
- All associated costs will be covered by Forestry and Land Scotland where we deliver with our own staff, or paid directly to our appointed contractors.
- This option offers agents, estates and landholders who have the required skills and experience, to submit a fully costed proposal to manage the design, establishment and maintenance process.
- Forestry and Land Scotland will enter into a ten-year lease for land that meets the criteria and fund a proportion of legal costs.
- Applications that are deemed to provide good value for money will be funded in full via the applicant's nominated Agent/Contractor.
Relationship with grant schemes and agricultural support
This proposal is designed to complement the Scottish Rural Development Programme.
Land put forward for the lease scheme will not be eligible for SRDP woodland creation grants.
Information pack and application forms
Full details are provided in the following documents and pages:
- Choosing an area to lease and the pre-establishment process
- Woodland creation criteria for land leasing
- How to choose an option for leasing
- Option A - process and delivery
- Option B - process and delivery
- Draft Heads of Terms for Lease (Word 85KB)
If you choose to apply using Option A, please complete:
If you choose to apply using Option B, please complete:
- Leasing Option B application form (Word 196KB)
- Option B pre-qualification questionnaire (Word 230KB)
- Option B cashflow spreadsheet (Excel 27KB)
Timescales and contact details
Applications will be assessed as they are submitted. Proposals approved in principle will enter the process as outlined on the woodland creation criteria page.
Farmers and landholders are asked to submit expressions of interest outlining their proposals to:
Robin Waddell – Acquisitions Officer
Forestry and Land Scotland
Tel: 07919 175008