Deputy Head of Plant & Seed Supply
Plant and Seed Supply is a unique unit within Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS) and as such provides a critical service towards FLS achieving its key new woodland creation and restocking targets. This work in turn supports the delivery of the wider Scottish Government target to help Scotland achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2045. Scottish Government are also supporting FLS with the expansion and upgrading of our Newton Nursery facility which will ultimately see a doubling of production capacity to 15 million trees/annum. This upgrading will also consider various new forms of innovation that can assist with the further mechanisation of nursery operations to increase overall nursery efficiency.
We’re looking for a dynamic individual with leadership skills and experience, who can lead the Newton Nursery team in the delivery of key nursery production targets, excellent customer focus and service. You will also play a key role in the planning, development and delivery of the new and exciting Newton Nursery redevelopment project.
We want to hear from you if you can…
- Develop and lead a diverse team to think strategically, deliver ambitious programmes and manage a wide range of plant supply services;
- Provide excellent customer focus to both internal customers and external partners alike;
- Plan and organise, making sound decisions based on information available;
- Demonstrate leadership in helping to deliver a `just’ health and safety culture for all staff and contractors in the overall delivery of services;
“I have been working with FLS for just over 2 years in my current role as Nursery Supervisor. It has been a challenging and exciting period during which time we have transitioned into a new agency of the Scottish Government and we now also look forward to the nursery redevelopment project. We have a lot going on currently around this and other various potential new innovation technologies that will make life easier for the whole nursery team – exciting times!"
“The team at Newton are committed to not only following best practice, but forging new standards of plant production using newly emerging technologies from around the world. If you have a genuine interest in testing new ideas to produce plants in the best way possible you will find good company at Newton.”
We understand that changing your role or workplace can be a big decision to make, with many aspects to consider. In addition to a generous pay, holiday and pension package we also offer:
- Genuine consideration of flexible working options, such as compressed hours and a mixture of virtual, home and remote working;
- Flexi-time with the ability to accrue and take off up to 2 days per period (in addition to your holiday allowance);
- An environment that supports work/life balance for everyone in the team;
- Opportunity to pursue continued professional development.
Whatever your circumstances, if you think you would be the right fit for our team and you meet the essential criteria for the role, we encourage and welcome your application.
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions, please contact: