17th Century

1610: First mention of Rogie in Charter

18th Century

1715: Lands forfeited after 1715 Jacobite Rebellion

1747-55: General Roy map shows cultivation in the area. Rig and furrow

1759: First surviving parish register for birth at Rogie (Mackay)

1790: Map evidence off settlement and extensive rig and furrow

1792: First written evidence off the Coul Estate looking into agricultural improvements

1794: Rent book shows 12 families paying rents with very little arrears

19th Century

1808: Sir George Mackenzie purchases large number of Cheviot sheep

1808: Rogie cleared

1809: Sir George writes A Treatise on the Diseases and Management of sheep

1813: Sir George Mackenzie's agricultural views expressed in the book A General View of the Agriculture of Ross and Cromarty

1841: Census shows 6 households - includes one family, Elliots, from the Borders as shepherds

1851: Census shows 6 households - includes William Laidlaw, sheep manager from Hawick, who lived in Rogie farmhouse

1861:Census shows 6 households

1886: First edition map shows roofed buildings standing

1871: Census shows 4 households

1881: Census shows 3 households

1891: Census shows 3 households

20th Century

1901: Census shows 2 households: one cottage and Rogie farmhouse

1943 Last house at Rogie lived in by James McQueen destroyed by fire

1954: Lands bought by the Forestry Commission

1960: Land planted with trees

Our website uses cookies.

By continuing, we assume your permission to deploy cookies, as detailed in our Privacy and Cookies policies.