Fonab and Grandtully forest design plan
Fonab forest was purchased in 3 lots from 1952 to 1958 and covers an area of 807 ha. It was originally planted between the mid 1950’s and mid 1960’s, predominantly with Scots pine and spruce. The forest forms part of the south western aspect to the town of Pitlochry together with neighbouring woodlands owned by Atholl and Pitlochry Estates. The forest straddles the ridge plateau above between Strathtay and Strathtummel.
Grandtully forest was purchased in 3 lots between 1977 and 1983 and covers an area of 632 ha. The upper open hill was planted between 1981 and 1983, predominantly with Sitka spruce, but the existing semi-natural birch woodland on the lower slopes most visible from Strathtay and the A827 was retained.
Documents and maps
- Forest design plan - Full text (PDF 2.4MB)
- Location map (PDF 1.2MB)
- Key features map (PDF 1.2MB)
- Analysis map (PDF 846KB)
- Concept map (PDF 3.8MB)
- Future habitats and species map (PDF 733KB)
- Management map (PDF 710KB)
- Thinning map (PDF 814KB)
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact: