Assich, Laiken and Ferness Land Management Plan Consultation
We are currently carrying out a full Land Management Plan (LMP) revision to help us determine future management proposals for the forest and land we manage at Assich, Laiken and Ferness. The revised LMP will replace the current, expiring Plan – originally approved in March 2005 – and will detail how we intend to manage this landholding over the next 10 years (2022 - 2031) and indicate our vision for the next twenty five years and beyond.
The Plan covers an area of approximately 1,087 hectares (see maps below) in the North East of Scotland, an area already identified as being likely to experience a significant change in climate as a result of global warming. This has potential impacts on species suitability, pests and diseases and flooding amongst other things. The Plan seeks to address issues around the management of productive conifer woodland, riparian and native woodland, and peatland conservation/restoration, whilst accounting for climate change and biodiversity adaptation and resilience. We must ensure the forests and open ground are managed in as practical and effective a manner as possible for broad social, economic and environmental benefit.
This consultation page will be used to share updates as the LMP revision progresses: i.e. uploading additional maps/documents outlining developing objectives and prescriptions during the Timeline (below). We also intend to canvass wider public opinion through local face-to-face meetings. However, in view of ongoing COVID-19-related regulations, these intentions cannot yet be defined or even guaranteed. Nevertheless FLS will endeavour to use a variety of different methods of engagement – online, postal correspondence and in person if possible - so that as many individuals and organisations wishing to contribute and discuss particular issues with emerging plans can do so.
In the meantime, we would be pleased to hear from any interested parties during this drafting stage of the plan. If you have any preliminary comments please send them to us using the contact details at the bottom of this page.
- August - September 2021: Initial Scoping including engagement with key stakeholders.
- October- December 2021: Following-up on stakeholder feedback; Developing draft LMP.
- January 2022: Wider public consultation on draft LMP; Refinement of draft Plan.
- January – March 2022: Drawing together final LMP proposals.
- March 2022: Submission of LMP to Scottish Forestry for consideration.
Documents and maps
- Assich, Laiken and Ferness Location Map (PDF)
- Assich, Laiken and Ferness Felling Proposals (PDF) – derived from existing Plan and for revision by new Plan.
- Assich, Laiken and Ferness Future Habitat Proposals (PDF) - for each site, derived from existing Plan and for revision by new Plan.
- Assich Key Features Map (PDF)
- Assich Key Features Accompaniment (PDF) - Written details from the map above in accessible format
- Laiken Key Features Map (PDF)
- Laiken Key Features Accompaniment (PDF) - Written details from the map above in accessible format
- Ferness Key Features Map (PDF)
- Ferness Key Features Accompaniment (PDF) - Written details from the map above in accessible format
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact:
Forestry and Land Scotland