Dallas land management plan
Dallas land mangement plan area is located 10km south east of Forres, Moray. The plan area includes the Hill of Wangie, Gallow Hill, Hillockhead and Mill Buie.
The purpose of the plan is to outline felling and thinning proposals over 20 years with the first 10 years in detail along with restocking proposals for the whole plan area.
Analysis of the available information has led to the primary objectives being:
Manage the woodland for the production of a sustainable crop of quality timber suitable for the local processing mills,
Improve the condition of Kellas Oakwood SSSI managed by FLS so it moves towards being classified as in favourable condition.
There are additional secondary objectives which include:
Work with the mountain bike trail users to facilitate the use of trails that do not significantly impede the management of the forest,
Manage the deep peat areas to maximise their carbon sequestration and storage potential,
Manage the riparian zones to minimise any potential impact on the downstream area vunerable to flooding and maintain the watercourses in “good” ecological status,
Mange the Hillockhead plantation to gradually restore it to its ancient woodland character.
During the development of the draft land management plan for Castlehill and Balnacoul we have consulted with local community representatives and stakeholders known to have an interest in the plan area.
The consultation period for this plan runs until Friday 18 December 2020.
Maps and plan
- Draft land management plan text (PDF 3.2MB) - details our objectives for the area and our management proposals. This is a draft plan and we welcome comments on its contents.
- Location map (PDF 3.7MB) - shows the location of Dallas in relation to the local area.
- Key features map (PDF 4.4MB) - shows the important issues that need to be addressed in the plan.
- Current species map (PDF 3.9MB) - shows the current tree species that are growing in Dallas.
- Analysis and concept map (PDF 4.7MB) - shows how the key features will influence the management of the forest.
- Management map (PDF 3.8MB) - shows the proposed management for the area.
- Thinning approval map (PDF 4.0MB) - shows what areas we are seeking permission to thin within the plan area.
- Thinning coupe map (PDF 3.9MB) - shows how we will divide up the areas we plan to thin.
- Long term species map (PDF 4.3MB) - shows the species and habitats we are aiming for in the long term.
- Future habitats and species map (PDF 3.7MB) - shows the tree species that are proposed to be growing in the area at the end of the plan period, moving us towards our long term vision.
If you would like to comment or discuss this plan please contact:
Forestry and Land Scotland
Phone: 07990 802879