Glen Orchy & Glen Lochy Land Management Plan Consultation
Glen Orchy and Glen Lochy land management plan (LMP) covers a total area just over 9532 Ha. It comprises of five forest blocks: Auch, Glen Orchy, Glen Lochy North, Glen Lochy South and Succoth. It is located in the north-east of Argyll & Bute local authority, north-west of Crianlarich, between the villages of Dalmally, Tyndrum and Bridge of Orchy.
The forests lie within a prominent area of landscape, designated by the local authority as an Area of Great Landscape Value (AGLV), with Glen Orchy and Glen Lochy. The B8074 runs up through Glen Orchy and the A85 (T) runs through Glen Lochy. A railway line connecting Glasgow to Oban via Crianlarich also runs through the LMP area.
Our objectives for the land management plan area:
- Maintain sustainable timber production (maintained timber income, clearfell/restock, new planting).
- Plan and construct roads/tracks to give access to inaccessible crops.
- Develop a programme to pre-emptively remove larch.
- Protect, expand and enhance the Caledonian Pinewood Reserve areas.
- Restore and maintain areas of bog habitat (reduce carbon release, diversify habitat), and other priority/protected species & habitats.
- Protect and enhance ancient woodland areas, providing linkages between.
- Provide scope and opportunity for potential increased recreational use by local communities and tourists, as well as enable/compliment the community action plans.
- Provide opportunity for increased deer management, deer management strategy and a landscape scale approach to deer management.
- Ensure that coupes are well scaled and shaped and roads sited to relate to landscape character and scenic quality.
- Enable developers to utilize the land.
- Ensure the plan connects/compliments with the national park objectives.
- Protect current and new infrastructure in plan area- A85, A82, railway, bridges, roads, car parks, trails etc.
- Maintain and enhance the montane willow habitat.
- Spring 2021: Land management plan scoping
- Summer/Autumn 2021: Initial Consultation (COVID dependant- online/face-to-face event)
- Winter 2021: Proposals
- Autumn 2022: Consultation events in Dalmally (25-10-2022) and Tyndrum (1-11-2022)
- Early 2023: Submission of plan to Scottish Forestry, Perth and Argyll Conservancy, for approval
Documents and maps
LMP document is available upon request.
- Location issues and objectives map (PDF)
- Management coupes map (PDF)
- Thinning maps (PDF)
- Felling approval maps (PDF)
- Future habitat maps (PDF)
- Restock approval maps (PDF)
- Soils map (PDF)
- Civils operations map (PDF)
- Current species map (PDF)
- Woodland creation - Succoth (PDF)
- Woodland creation - Lochy south (PDF)
- Habitat restoration map (PDF)
- Natural regeneration maps (PDF)
- Landscape character assessment map (PDF)
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact:
Forestry and Land Scotland