Knapdale land management plan
The Knapdale land management plan comprises two forest blocks - Knapdale and Inverneill - which lie on the coast to the west of Lochgilphead. The local villages of Achnamara, Crinan, Tayvallich, Cairnbaan and Inverneill are all within or nearby the forest area.
There are several highly popular recreational areas and some of the lochans are important to a local fishing club. The area is nationally important in terms of its diversity of wildlife and native habitats. The forests also provide catchments for both public and private water supplies.
The majority of the plan area is within a National Scenic Area with the northern edge particularly visible. This is demonstrated by fantastic views both of the forest and the surrounding land and seascapes throughout the area.
Our main objectives for the Knapdale plan are:
- Continue to create a sustainable forest with a diverse range of species; balancing productivity with the area’s natural heritage whilst taking into account resilience to future threats of climate change and disease.
- Maintain and enhance the recreational facilities accessed within the plan area.
- Improve public road resilience along the B841, Crinan Road.
- Work with partner agencies, including Scottish Canals, and consider any necessary mitigation in the Potentially Vulnerable Area (PVA) for flooding around Lochgilphead.
- Aim to restore ancient woodland sites with priority being given to the large areas of Sites of Scientific Interest (SSSI) within the plan; also to restore areas of peatlands and maintain the designated Special Protected Area (SPA). Also key wildlife species including black-throated divers, European beavers, red squirrels, osprey, marsh orchids and marsh fritillary butterflies.
- Protect and build on previous successful works around the enormous variety of heritage sites, including 15 Scheduled Monuments.
- Adopt low impact silvicultural systems (LISS) practices where practical.
- Continue to protect both the tree crop and native woodlands to allow the plan to progress.
Autumn 2018: Begin Land Management Plan
November 2018: Internal scoping meeting
June 2019: Public consultation event between 2-6pm on 21 June at Achnamara Village Hall
Spring 2020: Submission of plan to Perth & Argyll Conservancy for approval
Documents and maps
- Location Context Map (PDF 2.7MB)
- Objectives table (PDF 100KB)
- Concept Plan Overall Map (PDF 2.6MB)
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact:
Forestry and Land Scotland