Stay the Night
Stay the Night update
The trial allowing overnight stays of motorhomes and campervans at a small selection of our forest car parks has been met with an overwhelming response.
It has proved to be very popular with campervan visitors and has helped relieve visitor pressures in key locations during the busy holiday season as campsites and caravan grounds have emerged from lockdown and restarted their businesses.
However, as a tourism partner with a vested interest in the return of the sector to full health, we do not want to forestall the gradual recovery of those related businesses and will therefore halt the trial at the end of August.
We have already learned a great deal and hope to reintroduce a trial next season to allow us to further test and evaluate options for overnight parking.
We apologise for any disappointment that this might cause but hope that caravanners and camper-vanners will understand that this will help to strengthen the sector for the long-term benefit of everyone.
Until the end of August 2020, motorhomes and campervans will be allowed to park overnight at a small selection of our forest car parks. This is part of a national trial which will help us understand the practicalities of offering this visitor experience longer term.
As the participating car parks have limited – if any – facilities, they are intended for use as informal stop overs on your longer journeys around the Scottish countryside. Spaces cannot be booked in advance and we ask that you stay for only one night at a time (not returning for 48 hours).
This trial is open to self-contained vehicles only. We are unable to allow camping and overnight parking of cars at our car parks.
Are you planning to Stay the Night? On this page you will find everything you need to know before you hit the road.
How to stay
Search for a participating car park
You can search amongst the participating car parks on our interactive map. Not all of our car parks are taking part in this trial, so please check before travelling.
Time it right
You can stay for one night only at a time between 6pm and 10am. If you would like to visit outside these times, normal car parking charges (if any) will apply.
Find a space
Please park safely and leave at least 4 metres between you and your neighbour.
For now, there is no charge to Stay the Night. However, an initial charge of £5 per vehicle will be introduced soon. Blue Badge holders will be exempt.
Ensure a pleasant stay for everyone
Follow our guidance:
- Distancing: Leave 4 metres between you and your neighbour.
- Toilets: You must use your own self-contained toilet facilities. Visit www.campa.org.uk for advice on waste disposal sites in Scotland.
- Fires: Fires and barbecues are not permitted.
- Rubbish: Take all rubbish away with you.
- Help everyone to sleep well: Keep noise levels down at all times but especially between 10pm and 7am.
- Four-legged friends: Keep dogs on a lead or under close control. Please pick up after your dog.
- Car park too full? Please visit www.visitscotland.com for nearby campsites. Please don’t park irresponsibly.
Let us know what you think!
We would love to hear about your visit. Your feedback will play an important part in our consideration of the future of overnight parking.
Terms and conditions
We want everyone who takes part in the Stay the Night trial to have an enjoyable and peaceful night. We also want to ensure that daytime visitors can continue to enjoy their local forests. Therefore, anyone staying the night must follow our terms and conditions when using our car parks:
- Overnight parking is only available to self-contained motorhomes and campervans with their own toilet facilities. Tents and cars are not included in this trial.
- Stays are restricted to one night only.
- Arrive after 18:00 and leave before 10:00.
- If parked outside these times you must purchase a ticket at those sites with a ticket machine.
- Park responsibly and don’t block access points, gates, trail heads, picnic benches or signage.
- Pre-booking and allocated spaces are not possible.
- Forestry and Land Scotland car park season tickets are not valid for overnight stays.
- Please display your Blue Badge if you have one.
Get in touch
Do you have any questions about Stay the Night? Drop us an email:
We monitor emails Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm and will respond as soon as we can within these times.