Stay the Night
Stay the Night update
Since our earlier update, FLS has received a great deal of representation asking us to re-consider our position, and continue with the trial beyond August 2020.
It remains the case that we do not wish to hamper the recovery of local campsite businesses. However, it has become apparent that in some parts of Scotland, including some fragile communities in the Highlands and the West, campervan demand continues to exceed site provision.
After careful consideration of these representations - and those from a small number of businesses - we have now decided to continue with the trial until later in 2020.
We will make some adjustments going forwards, in response to what we have learnt to date, and will continue to assess the need for a longer trial in 2021.
Motorhomes and campervans will be allowed to park overnight at a small selection of our forest car parks. This is part of a short-term national trial that will run until later in the year, which will help us understand the practicalities of offering this visitor experience longer term.
As the participating car parks have limited – if any – facilities, they are intended for use as informal stop overs on your longer journeys around the Scottish countryside. Spaces cannot be booked in advance and we ask that you stay for only one night at a time (not returning for 48 hours).
This trial is open to self-contained vehicles only. We are unable to allow camping and overnight parking of cars at our car parks.
Are you planning to Stay the Night? On this page you will find everything you need to know before you hit the road.
How to stay
Search for a participating car park
You can search amongst the participating car parks on our interactive map. Not all of our car parks are taking part in this trial, so please check before travelling.
Time it right
You can stay for one night only at a time between 6pm and 10am. If you would like to visit outside these times, normal car parking charges (if any) will apply.
Find a space
Please park safely and leave at least 4 metres between you and your neighbour.
For now, there is no charge to Stay the Night. However, at our charge car parks with a ticket machine – please purchase a day ticket on arrival and any further ticket if departing after 10.00am the following day. Blue Badge holders will be exempt.
Ensure a pleasant stay for everyone
Follow our guidance:
- Distancing: Leave 4 metres between you and your neighbour.
- Toilets: You must use your own self-contained toilet facilities. Visit www.campa.org.uk for advice on waste disposal sites in Scotland.
- Fires: Fires and barbecues are not permitted.
- Rubbish: Take all rubbish away with you.
- Help everyone to sleep well: Keep noise levels down at all times but especially between 10pm and 7am.
- Four-legged friends: Keep dogs on a lead or under close control. Please pick up after your dog.
- Car park too full? Please visit www.visitscotland.com for nearby campsites. Please don’t park irresponsibly.
Let us know what you think!
We would love to hear about your visit. Your feedback will play an important part in our consideration of the future of overnight parking.
Terms and conditions
We want everyone who takes part in the Stay the Night trial to have an enjoyable and peaceful night. We also want to ensure that daytime visitors can continue to enjoy their local forests. Therefore, anyone staying the night must follow our terms and conditions when using our car parks:
- Overnight parking is only available to self-contained motorhomes and campervans with their own toilet facilities. Tents and cars are not included in this trial.
- Stays are restricted to one night only.
- Arrive after 6:00pm and leave before 10:00am.
- For our charge parking sites with a ticket machine – please purchase a day ticket on arrival and any further ticket if departing after 10:00am the following day.
- Park responsibly and don’t block access points, gates, trail heads, picnic benches or signage.
- Pre-booking and allocated spaces are not possible.
- Forestry and Land Scotland car park season tickets are not valid for overnight stays.
- Please display your Blue Badge if you have one.
Get in touch
Do you have any questions about Stay the Night? Drop us an email:
We monitor emails Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm and will respond as soon as we can within these times.