Stay the Night
Motorhomes and campervans that are self-contained (i.e. with all facilities, including toilet inside the vehicle) will be able to stay overnight at some of our car parks from 1 April to 31 October 2022 in a continuation of the Stay the Night initiative we ran last year. No awnings, pop-up/pup/toilet or any other type of tent, or car camping is allowed. There is no pre-booking and allocated spaces are not possible. Stay the Night operates on a first-come first-serve basis only.
Are you planning to Stay the Night? On this page you will find everything you need to know before you hit the road.
Plan your stay
Search for a participating car park
Time it right
You can stay for one night only at a time between 6pm and 10am. You should not return to the same car park to stay the night within 48 hours.
Find a space
Please park safely and leave at least 4 metres between you and your neighbour.
There may be a small cost
A small charge for staying the night will apply at some of our participating car parks, where parking meters are already in place. Please pay for your stay by purchasing and displaying two day tickets.
Users of Stay the Night are of course allowed to use FLS car parks during normal day-time hours in the same way any other visitor would. So if you are in a car park with parking meters and you arrive before 6pm, or wish to stay beyond 10am Stay the Night hours, you will also need to purchase a parking ticket for the duration of time you plan to stay and clearly display the ticket. If it is a car park with no parking meter you should behave as any other day time visitors would. In both instances you should not set up to overnight before 6pm and have your vehicle packed up by 10am the next day.
We may introduce a payment method at all, or most Stay the Night car parks later in the season.
Please be considerate
To ensure a pleasant stay for everyone, please follow our guidance:
- Distancing: Leave 4 metres between you and your neighbour.
- Know before you go: As participating car parks will have limited – if any – facilities, they are intended for use as informal one night ‘stop overs’ on longer journeys.
- Toilets: You must use your own self-contained toilet facilities. Visit CAMPA for advice on waste disposal sites in Scotland.
- Fires: Fires and barbecues are not permitted.
- Rubbish: Take all rubbish away with you.
- Help everyone to sleep well: Keep noise levels down at all times but especially between 10pm and 7am.
- Four-legged friends: Keep dogs on a lead or under close control. Please pick up after your dog.
- Car park too full? Please check Visit Scotland for nearby campsites. Please do not park irresponsibly.
Let us know what you think
We would love to hear about your visit. Your feedback will play an important part in our consideration of the future of overnight parking.
Terms and conditions
We want everyone who takes part in the Stay the Night initiative to have an enjoyable and peaceful night. We also want to ensure that daytime visitors can continue to enjoy their local forests. Anyone staying the night must follow our terms and conditions when using our car parks:
- Overnight parking is only available to self-contained (i.e. with all facilities, including toilet inside the vehicle) motorhomes and campervans (and caravans at car parks that are suitable). Awnings, pop-up/pup/toilet or any other type of tent, or car camping are not included in this initiative and are not permitted.
- Stays are restricted to one night only.
- You should arrive after 6pm and leave before 10am.
- Charges for Stay the Night apply at car parks equipped with ticket machines. Please purchase and display two day tickets.
- If arriving at any Stay the Night site before 6pm or departing after 10am you are in the car park as a standard visitor, which means no set-up before 6pm and all packed up by 10am. At car parks with ticket machines normal parking charges apply outside of Stay the Night hours, 6pm to 10am, and you must buy and display the appropriate ticket.
- We may introduce a payment method at all, or most Stay the Night car parks later in the season.
- Park responsibly and do not block access points, gates, trail heads, picnic benches or signage.
- Pre-booking and allocated spaces are not possible. Stay the Night operates on a first-come first-serve basis only.
- Forestry and Land Scotland car park annual parking passes are not valid for overnight stays, Stay the Night charges apply where applicable.
- Blue Badge holders are exempt from Stay the Night parking charges. Please display your Blue Badge.
Get in touch
Do you have any questions about Stay the Night? Please email:
We monitor emails Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm and will respond as soon as we can.