- Read our Covid-19 Information in advance of your visit.
- Most of our forests and facilities are open, but use our website to check before you travel.
- Do not light campfires or use disposable barbecues.
- Park considerately, taking care not to park on verges or block gates or roads.
The starting point for many a mountain walk
The Sugarbowl is a great starting point for getting out into the hills. The Chalamain Gap is a popular route from here – a ravine filled with a jumble of boulders that makes a spectacular destination on its own, or as part of a journey to climb Braeriach. Further on, the Lairig Ghru pass is a classic long distance hike to Braemar, on the other side of the Cairngorms.
Facilities & access
There are public toilets and a café at the Glenmore Forest Park Visitor Centre. Facilities are also available a couple of miles beyond Sugarbowl at Cairngorm Ski Centre.
No camping is allowed within the car park area.
Car parking information
The charges to park at Sugarbowl are:
Payment options: Coin only
- £1 for up to 1 hour
- £1.50 for up to 3 hours
- £2 for all day
- £8 for minibus or coach all day
- Your ticket can be used at our other car parks in Glenmore before the expiry time.
Please park with care and consideration. In particular please park in designated parking areas only and do not block entrances or gates. Nearby car parks with free parking can be found in our local forest list without the £ symbol.
Annual parking pass available:
- £40 car, £100 mini-bus/coach (valid for 12 months)
- Available in advance by downloading the application form and emailing/posting to the Regional Office.
- Please read our Annual Pass terms and conditions before applying.
- Valid at the following sites: Glenmore Visitor Centre, Glenmore Beach, Loch Morlich, Lochside, Sugarbowl, Allt Mor, Allt Ban, Hayfield
Blue badge holders park free. Please display your Blue Badge clearly.
From Aviemore follow the signs for 'The Cairngorms' for 8 miles, remaining on the road as it climbs steeply towards the ski centre. Sugarbowl car park is on the left, on the inside of a switchback bend.
PH22 1RB is the postcode for the Cairngorm ski centre, a few miles beyond Sugarbowl car park.
Buses between Aviemore and the Cairngorm ski centre pass the entrance to Sugarbowl. If waiting on a return bus, be sure to choose a safe place away from the switchback bend. Plan your journey at Traveline Scotland.
Get in touch
Have a question or suggestion for improvement?