Buchan woods land management plan
Buchan Woods land management plan area is located near Turriff and Methlick in Aberdeenshire (see location map below).
The plan includes two main areas of forestry: Delgaty Woods, near Turriff and Gight Woods, near Methlick.
Analysis of the available information has led to the primary objective for Delgatie Woods being the management of the woodland for the production of a sustainable, quality crop of timber.
The primary objective for Gight Woods will be to continue its conversion to native broadleaf woodland for environmental and biodiversity benefits.
There are additional secondary objectives for the future management of the woodland in certain areas of the LMP area. These include:
- Increase landscape and habitat integration with the surrounding area
- Maintain current levels of recreational use
- Increase area of Ancient Woodland restoration
- Increase diversity of species and age structure in Delgaty
- Monitor and remove any Phytophthora infection
- Maintain Red Squirrel habitat
- Protect and improve the water environment
These objectives are specific to certain areas of the plan. See the plan objectives map below which shows where each secondary objective is relevant.
During the development of the land management plan for Buchan Woods we have consulted publicly including with local community representatives and stakeholders known to have an interest in the plan area.The plan has been approved and is now active. It is due to be renewed in February 2031.
Documents and maps
- LMP Summary document (PDF 1.01MB) – A short summary of the plan detailing the location, primary objectives and the felling and restock figures.
- Buchan Woods land management plan - text (PDF 15.8MB)
- Location Map (JPEG 1.6MB)
- Key Features Map (JPEG 1.5MB)
- Current Species Map (JPEG 0.8MB)
- Constraints and Opportunities Map (JPEG 1.6MB)
- Management Map (JPEG 1.3MB)
- Thinning Approval Area Map (JPEG 1.5MB)
- Thinning Coupes Map (JPEG 1.3MB)
- Future Species Map (JPEG 1.4MB)
- Restocking Phases 1 & 2 Map (JPEG 1.4MB)
- Operational Access and Predicted Volumes Map (JPEG 1.3MB)
Get in touch
If you would like to comment or discuss this plan, or if you would like updates on developments, please contact:
Forestry and Land Scotland
0300 067 6380