Mearns land management plan
Mearns Land Management Plan area is made up of three blocks namely Fetteresso, Glenfarquhar and Drumtochty. The forest is predominantly an upland environment with poorer soils which have been planted with commercial conifers. It is one of the main production areas for Moray & Aberdeenshire forest district.
The main objectives of the area are to produce good quality timbers whilst dealing with Dothistroma needle blight (DNB) disease.
During the development of the draft land management plan we have consulted with the public including with local community representatives and stakeholders known to have an interest in the plan area.
The plan has been approved and is now active. It is due to be renewed in December 2024.
Land management plan documents and maps
- Land management plan summary (PDF 1.5MB) - a summary of the land management plan.
- Land management plan text (PDF 5.5MB) - details our objectives for the area and our management proposals.
- Location map (PDF 1.3MB) - shows the location of Mearns forest in relation to the local area.
- Key features map (PDF 2.2MB) - shows the key features that influence the management of the forest.
- Current species map (PDF 2.1MB) - shows the current tree species that are growing in the area.
- Analysis and concept map (PDF 2.2MB) - shows how the key features influence the management of the forest.
- Management map (PDF 2.0MB) - shows the management planned for the area.
- Thinning map (PDF 1.7MB) - shows the thinning that is planned for the area.
- Future species and habitat map (PDF 2.3MB) - shows the tree species that are planned to be growing in the area at the end of the plan period.
- Restock species map (PDF 1.9MB) - shows the tree species that are planned to be planted in the plan period.
- Planned roads map (PDF 2.4MB) - shows the new forest roads that are planned to be constructed in the plan period.
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact: