Under Burnmouth new woodland planting
Under Burnmouth is an area of land 5km South South West of Newcastleton Village, near a community known as Whisgills.
Buccleuch Estates approached us under the National Land Leasing Scheme with a view to considering some of this area for planting as new productive woodland. The Land Leasing Scheme offers the opportunity for farmers and other landholders to lease National Forest Estate land to establish new productive woodland. This is one of the ways in which we support an increase in the amount of productive woodland planting in Scotland.
- Autumn 2014 – Initial survey and site analysis
- Winter 2014 – Draft and publish the design brief
- 21 January 2015 - Public drop-in consultation held Liddesdale Hotel, Newcastleton. To explore the design brief and discuss issues relevant to the woodland proposal. To send us your comments, please complete the consultation feedback form (PDF 2MB) and post it to us at the address below.
- February 2015 – Following site investigation, analysis and community consultation, a new draft species map was produced for further input from the community and others.
- March 2015 – The species map has been updated with the latest planting proposals, including additional open space and broadleaves on the access road.
- 30 April 2015 – If we receive comments on the proposal by this date they can be incorporated into the final draft prior to application. For any issues that remain unresolved you will still have opportunity to comment to the FCS Conservancy when the proposal is on the public register.
- Winter 2015 – Additional soil survey work to help inform and choose best ground preparation technique.
- April 2016 - Ground preparation trial on small area of land to help inform the plan.
- Summer 2016 - Submission of proposed land management plan.
- Winter 2016 - Preparation and planting of the site.
Maps and design brief
- Forest Design Plan Brief (PDF 68KB)
- Analysis and Concept Map (PDF 2.4MB)
- Draft species map (PDF 1.3MB)
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact: