Castlehill and Balnacoul land management plan
This plan is a review of Forestry and Land Scotland’s management of Castlehill and Balnacoul woods. The plan area includes the Castlehill, Balnacoul, Blackburn, Trochelhill, Stymie and Blackdam blocks and covers a total area of 572.6 hectares. The blocks are located at close to Mosstodloch (see Location map).
The purpose of the plan is to outline felling and thinning proposals over 20 years with the first 10 years in detail along with restocking proposals for the whole plan area.
The primary objective is the management of the woodland for the production of a sustainable quality crop of timber.
Castlehill and Balnacoul land management plan area is located just west of Fochabers, Moray. The plan area includes Blackburn, Trochelhill, Stynie and Blackdam woods and cover a total area of 572.6 hectares.
Analysis of the available information has led to the primary objective being the management of the woodland for the production of a sustainable quality crop of timber.
During the development of the land management plan for Castlehill and Balnacoul we have consulted with local community representatives and stakeholders known to have an interest in the plan area.
The plan has been approved and is now active. It is due to be renewed in January 2031.
Documents and maps
- Land management plan text (PDF) - details our objectives for the area and our management proposals.
- Location map (PDF 1.3MB) - shows the location of Castlehill and Balnacoul in relation to the local area.
- Key features map (PDF 2.2MB) - shows the important that need to be addressed in the plan.
- Current species map (PDF 2.4MB) - shows the current tree species that are growing in Castlehill and Balnacoul.
- Analysis and concept map (PDF 2.5MB) - shows how the key features will influence the management of the forest.
- Management map (PDF 2.4MB) - shows the proposed management for the area.
- Thinning approval map (PDF 3.3MB) - shows what areas we are seeking permission to thin within the plan area.
- Thinning coupe map (PDF 2.3MB) - shows how we will divide up the areas we plan to thin.
- >Low Impact Silviculture System map (PDF 2.0MB) - shows how we will divide up the areas we plan to manage with LISS prescriptions.
- Future habitats and species map (PDF 2.5MB) - shows the tree species that are proposed to be growing in the area at the end of the plan period.
Get in touch
If you would like to comment on the draft plan or would like further information, please contact: