Westfield land management plan
Westfield is an estate of 330 hectares half of which is open hill with the remainder plantation woodland and woodland glades. The site has close links with the local community in Alyth. The Alyth Community Woodland lies within the Westfield site.
Westfield is a locally important recreational destination. The site is well used by walkers both local and those embarking on the Cataran Trail. Mountain biking within the site has been boosted with the fantastic community run Alyth Bike Park.
Environmentally important, the site is lucky enough to include part of the Den of Alyth Site of Special Scientific Interest, a site designated for Upland Mixed Ash Woodland. Chalara Ash Dieback is threatening the short term continuity of this woodland type. The open ground on the Hill of Alyth is an interesting matrix of gorse scrub and grassland.
The present plan was approved in March 2021 and runs for ten years. Operations include felling and restocking of mature conifer woodlands with more suitable species. Thinning of commercial crops. Heavy thinning of the larch areas to reduce the risk of infection from Phytopthora ramorum. We are pleased to include the creation of a further 45 hectares of new native woodland within the site. To enable these plans to be implemented a new forestry access will be created between the Westfield Farm entrance and Wester Craigellie.
Documents and maps
- Westfield Land Management Plan - Summary (PDF)
- Westfield Land Management Plan (PDF)
- Alyth Den Thinning Plan (PDF)
- Designated Sites Management Plan - Den of Alyth SSSI (PDF)
- Westfield LMP - Constraints Map (PDF)
- Westfield LMP - Felling Proposals Map (PDF)
- Westfield LMP - Future Species Proposal Map (PDF)
- Westfield LMP - Proposed Management Types (PDF)
- Westfield LMP - Present Species Map (PDF)
- Westfield LMP - Proposed Thinning Map (PDF)
- Westfield LMP - Restocking Within Plan Period Map (PDF)
- Westfield LMP - Roading Proposals Map (PDF)
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact: