Carradale land management plan
Carradale land management plan (LMP) covers an area of 6704.3ha on the Eastern coast of the Kintyre peninsula in Argyll & Bute. The plan area comprises four forest areas: Deer Hill, Deucheran, Grogport and High Clachaig. The villages of Carradale and Grogport are located to the east of the forest.
The land contains a variety of different habitats, from conifer forest to native broadleaf areas and peat bogs. It is rich in biodiversity, sustaining different habitats and plant/animal species. There are also recreational interests within the plan area, including facilities from Carradale up to Deer Hill viewpoint.
Our objectives for the land management plan are:
- Provide sustainable productive forest with a diverse range of species, taking into account future threats of climate change and disease.
- Prioritise the removal of larch to help reduce the spread of Phythopthora ramorum.
- Identify and prioritise deep peat areas for peatland restoration.
- Protect and enhance cultural assets and key wildlife species/protected habitats, whilst removing invasive species.
- Work to support renewables energy developments to help fit them to the landscape and be integrated with other land management objectives.
- Maintain key recreational infrastructure, including the view from Deer Hill, and the use of Low Impact Silvicultural Systems (LISS) where possible.
- Liaise with the local communities to ensure an understanding of their issues & opportunities within Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS) proposals.
- Identify and prioritise Ancient Woodland Sites (AWS) for restoration and protection.
- April 2018: Community consultation in Carradale village hall
- November 2020: External consultation of proposals
- December 2020: Submission of plan to Perth & Argyll Conservancy for approval
Consultation documents and maps
The consultation will run from 1 November to 30 November 2020. Responses can be returned by email or post to the contact details at the bottom of this page.
- Land Management Plan Brief (PDF 450KB)
- Overview (PDF 332KB)
- Location Map (PDF 2.8MB)
- Key Elements Map (PDF 3.7MB)
- Deer Hill Recreation Map (PDF 1.8MB)
- Felling Proposals Map (PDF 5.9MB)
- Felling Phases 1 and 2 Map (PDF 6.3MB)
- Restocking Proposals Map (PDF 6.1MB)
- Visualisations (PDF 2.6MB)
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact:
Forestry and Land Scotland