Fishing in Galloway Forest Park
Galloway boasts some stunning locations for keen fishers to enjoy the calm waters. Kirroughtree, Glentrool and Clatteringshaws Visitor Centres are all excellent places to visit before you take to the lochs.
Weekly permits to fish selected lochs (except Loch Dee and Loch Bradan) cost £35. Fishing permits for all waters can be purchased from the outlets listed below.
When and where to fish
Open season for trout and salmon fishing is 15 March to 30 September. The season ends early to conserve spawning fish, and to conserve salmon and sea trout we operate a catch and release policy.
You can fish for pike, perch, tench, rudd all year round.
Fishing is only allowed between 8am and one hour before sunset.
We encourage the use of barbless hooks for all coarse fish and ask that you take all litter, including line and bait, home with you.
Please note, there is no natural minnow fishing allowed on any Forestry and Land Scotland waters. The use of live bait, prawns or shrimps is also not permitted.
For more details, fishing availability and online booking can be found on Fish Pal.
Other places to buy permits
- Clatteringshaws Visitor Centre
- Glentrool Visitor Centre 01671 840745
- Galloway Forest Park Office, Creebridge, Newton Stewart 0300 067 6800
- Kirroughtree Visitor Centre 01671 402994
- Straiton Stores, Straiton 01655 770208
- Ayr Road Garage, 7 Ayr Road, Dalmellington 01292 550487
- Galloway Angling Centre, 1 Queen Street, Newton Stewart 01671 401333