Ardross land management plan
Ardross Forest Design Plan (FDP) is situated west of the village of Ardross and covers forests of Garbhan Rock, Strathrusdale, Glaich, Dam Wood and Stittenham - an area of 2133 ha. Ardross FDP was approved by the Highland & Islands Conservancy on the 15th of March 2012. A mid-term review (MTR) exercise was carried out in 2017 resulting in number of changes to the original proposal, mainly due to wind damage and slower than previously anticipated deterioration of crops affected by Dothistroma Needle Blight. The MTR and amendment to the felling and restocking proposal were approved on the 21st of September 2017.
Forest blocks covered by Ardross FDP are predominantly conifer (over 97% of the afforested area) with small percentage of broadleaves (c. 2% of afforested area). The area was by and large planted in the 50s, 60s and 70s, resulting in age structure that is predominantly mature (31 – 60 years) at 52% of afforested area, with other age classes: young (0 – 5 years), established (6 -15 years), thicket & pole (16 – 30) and old (61+ years) covering c. 12% of the afforested area each.
Land management plan documents and maps
- Summary of Ardross forest design plan proposals at the mid-term review point (PDF 370KB)
- Ardross mid-term review form (PDF 244KB)
- Ardross FDP Location map (PDF 1.6MB)
- Ardross management coupes map (PDF 1.1MB)
- Ardross future habitats map (PDF 1.8MB)
- Ardross felling and road construction map (PDF 1.6MB) - coupes to be harvested within remaining 5 years of FDP.
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact: