Bennachie land management plan
The Bennachie site covers 2,391 hectares and is made up of two forest areas separated by the Bennachie Ridge. "Back O’Bennachie" lies on the north facing slope of the ridge, and "Bennachie and Millstone Hill" to the south. The site's located South of Insch and west of Inverurie. The closest main road is the A96 located to the north east. This road leads directly to Aberdeen 26 miles to the east.
The woodland is diverse, mainly composed of conifers with some areas of broadleaves. The wide area of open land is mainly composed of upland heathland at the top of the hills.
It's a very well-known site and is very visible - as the peak of Bennachie is the highest point in the surrounding area. The forest is a highly valued recreational area, both locally and regionally, with more than 150,000 visitors a year.
- The new Land Management Plan has been approved and is now valid for a period of 10 years.
Land management plan documents and maps
- Bennachie land management plan summary (PDF 482KB)
- Bennachie land management plan (PDF 3MB) – details our objectives for the area and our management proposals. It is not yet finalised and is still open for comment.
- Location map (PDF 2MB) – shows the location of Bennachie in relation to the local area.
- Current species map (PDF 2.4MB) – shows the current tree species that are growing in the area.
- Key features map (PDF 2.9MB) – shows the key features that will influence the management of the forest.
- Analysis and concept map (PDF 3MB) – shows how the key features will influence the management of the forest.
- Future species map (PDF 2.5MB) – shows the tree species that are proposed to be growing in the area at the end of the plan period.
- Management map (PDF 2.1MB)– shows the proposed management for the area.
- Thinning map (PDF 2.3MB) - shows what year the thinning will take place in the area.
- Low Impact Silvicultural System map (PDF 2.5MB) - shows where Lo Impact Silvicultural System will be used to manage the woodland.
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact: