Dallas land management plan
Dallas Land Management Plan (LMP) area is located 10 km south east of Forres, Moray. The plan area includes the Hill of Wangie, Gallow Hill, Hillockhead and Mill Buie.
The purpose of the plan is to outline felling and thinning proposals over 20 years with the first 10 years in detail along with restocking proposals for the whole plan area.
Analysis of the available information has led to the following objectives for the Dallas LMP area:
- The management of the woodland to produce a sustainable crop of quality timber suitable for the local processing mills
- Manage deep peat areas to maximise their carbon sequestration and storage potential.Improving the condition of Kellas Oakwood SSSI area so it moves towards being classified in favourable condition
- Work with the mountain bike trail users to facilitate the use of trails that do not significantly impede the management of the forest
- Maintain the riparian zones to minimise any potential impact on the downstream Potentially Vulnerable Area (PVA) and maintain the watercourses in “good” ecological status
- Manage the Hillockhead plantation to gradually restore it to its ancient woodland character
The plan has been approved and is now active, it is scheduled to be renewed in December 2032.
Documents and maps
- Dallas land management plan text (PDF 3.2MB) - details our objectives for the area and our management proposals.
- Dallas land management plan summary
- Location map (PDF 3.7MB) - shows the location of Dallas in relation to the local area.
- Key features map (PDF 4.4MB) - shows the important issues that need to be addressed in the plan.
- Current species map (PDF 3.9MB) - shows the current tree species that are growing in Dallas.
- Analysis and concept map (PDF 4.7MB) - shows how the key features will influence the management of the forest.
- Management map (PDF 3.8MB) - shows the proposed management for the area.
- Thinning approval map (PDF 4.0MB) - shows what areas we are seeking permission to thin within the plan area.
- Thinning coupe map (PDF 3.9MB) - shows how we will divide up the areas we plan to thin.
- Long term species map (PDF 4.3MB) - shows the species and habitats we are aiming for in the long term.
- Future habitats and species map (PDF 3.7MB) - shows the tree species that are proposed to be growing in the area at the end of the plan period, moving us towards our long term vision.
- Restock in plan period (PDF) - shows how we plan to restock the areas in the plan period.
- Management Coupe (PDF) - lists all of the management coupes in the plan area.
- Wildlife Management (PDF) - shows how we plan to manage herbivores in the plan area.
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact: