Gartmorn land management plan
To meet the UK Forestry Standard, this plan sets out proposals to be undertaken by Forestry and Land Scotland in Gartmorn forest, Clackmannanshire. The forest (shown on Map 1) covers 79.39 hectares and was acquired by Forestry and Land Scotland in 1957.
Overarching management objectives for Gartmorn forest:
- Gradually transform the forest to mainly native broadleaved woodland to enhance its contribution to the forest habitat network in Clackmannanshire.
- Protect and enhance biodiversity assets within the forest.
- Protect ‘Octagon Wood’ designed landscape and incorporate into forest setting.
- Manage and mitigate impacts of tree pests and diseases (e.g. Dothistroma Needle Blight and Phytophthora ramorum).
- Maintain existing recreational assets throughout the forest and, where feasible, continue to involve relevant stakeholders.
- Maintain productive management in the west of the forest, focusing on high quality niche broadleaved production in the long-term.
- Improve management access to facilitate delivery of the plan.
- October 2021: Internal scoping meeting was held to identify key considerations for next plan.
- January – July 2022: Baseline desk survey, site attribute surveys and site meetings.
- August – November 2022: drafting of the plan.
- November 2022 – January 2023: Draft plan assessment by internal teams, revisions and further consultations with stakeholders.
- February 2023: Consultation with local community and other statutory stakeholders on the draft plan, with a view to seek subsequent approval from Scottish Forestry.
- August 2023: Plan approval.
Key plan documents and management maps
Note: for the land management plan appendices and additional supporting maps referenced in Main Document, please contact Central Region using the e-mail below.
- Summary of Proposals
- Main Document
- Map 1 - Forest location and context
- Map 9 - Path networks and woodland management in Visitor Zones
- Maps 12 and 13 - Analysis of constraints/opportunities and concept design
- Map 14 - Management coupes and ten year felling plan
- Map 15 - Ten year thinning coupes
- Map 16 - Forest access and proposed forest roads
- Map 17 - Future habitats and species
Get in touch
If you would like to receive notification of further developments in Gartmorn, please contact: