Culbin land management plan
Culbin forest is situated on the Moray coast (NH977616) overlooking the Moray Firth. Nairn is 3 km to the west, also on the coast, Forres is 4 km in land and Findhorn is 1.5 km east, across the mouth of Findhorn Bay. The plan area is mostly within the Moray council area, with a small proportion crossing the boundary into the Highland council area.
The plan area consists of seven separate blocks. Culbin main block forms the vast majority of the area, the remainder is made up of Hardmuir wood, Inshoch wood, Inshoch moss, Downie hillock, Hugh wood and Kilnhill wood.
Analysis of the available information has led to two primary objectives for these blocks:
- management of these blocks being to create woodlands with high environmental value for species, habitats and landscape.
- the production of a quality crop of timber.
An additional secondary objective for the future management of all the woodland has been identified as:
- management of the woodland to provide a key recreational resource for Nairn and the surrounding area.
During the development of the draft land management plan for Culbin we have consulted publicly including with local community representatives and stakeholders known to have an interest in the plan area.
The plan has been approved and is now active. It is due to be renewed in April 2028.
Documents and maps
- Plan summary (PDF 0.3MB)- a summary of the approved plan.
- Land management plan (PDF 6.2MB) - details our objectives for the area and our management proposals.
- Land management plan appendices (PDF 6.1MB) - the appendices for the plan.
- Location map (PDF 0.8MB) - shows the location of Culbin in relation to the local area.
- Key features map (PDF 1.4MB) - shows the key features that will influence the management of the forest.
- Current species map (PDF 3.3MB) - shows the current tree species that are growing in Culbin.
- Analysis and concept map (PDF 1.2MB) - shows how the key features will influence the management of the forest.
- Management map (PDF 1.7MB)- shows the proposed management for the area.
- Thinning map (PDF 1.4MB) - shows what year we plan to undertake the thinning within the area.
- LISS map (PDF 1.6MB) - shows what types of low impact silviculture we intend to use within the area.
- Future species map (PDF 2.3MB) - shows the tree species that are proposed to be growing in the area at the end of the plan period.
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact: