Hartwood Home Farm Woodland Creation
Hartwood Home Farm was purchased by Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS) in 2020 with the aim of establishing a new multipurpose woodland delivering timber production, carbon capture, biodiversity value, and social benefits. The site is located around the village of Hartwood, immediately west of Shotts, in the North Lanarkshire Council area. It extends to approximately 326 hectares and adjoins existing FLS land at Murdostoun & Mossband to the north (see below Location Map and Local Area Map).
In order to deliver this project, we are developing a Land Management Plan (LMP) which will detail the design of the new woodland and outline site management activities for a period of 10 years, after which the plan will be renewed. Murdostoun & Mossband are covered by a separate Land Management Plan, which is due for renewal in 2025. Baseline data and early observations indicate the site is suitable for a range of tree species and woodland types. Detailed surveys (including for soils, biodiversity and heritage) are ongoing to confirm this.
Stakeholder engagement has been completed, and we will begin to work up detailed proposals for the site from early August. This will include reviewing feedback from stakeholder engagement and incorporating this into the plan where possible. There will then be a period of formal stakeholder consultation on our draft plan which will take place towards the end of 2022, prior to submission to the regulator, Scottish Forestry, for approval.
- 2020: Site purchased
- November 2021 - May 2022: Initial site assessment and internal ‘scoping’
- July 2022: Pre-design community and stakeholder engagement
- August – October 2022: Review of feedback and generation of draft design/management proposals
- October - November 2022: Internal feedback on draft proposals
- December 2022 - January 2023: Formal consultation on draft proposals
- December 2022 - January 2023: Plan submitted to Scottish Forestry for approval
- Early 2023: Scottish Forestry approval expected
- Winter 2024/25: Site establishment (planting) planned
Maps and documents
- Location Map Showing the site location in the wider landscape with nearby FLS blocks
- Local Area Map Showing the site boundary in relation to the local area, Murdostoun & Mossband
- Aerial Photograph
- Local Features Map Showing key local features such as paths and nature conservation sites
- Analysis Map (accessible text alternative)
Get in touch
If you would prefer to contact us directly, or wish to discuss a specific issue, please use the details below: