Mark Hill and Tornat land management plan consultation
The Mark Hill & Tornat land management unit is located approximately 6 km south of Dalbeattie, in Dumfries and Galloway. Covering an area of approximately 153 ha the area comprises conifer woodland with areas of native broadleaves. It is part of Scotland’s national forests and land owned by Scottish Ministers on behalf of the people of Scotland and managed by Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS). Forestry and Land Scotland is currently revising the Land Management Plan (LMP) for this area. It is an opportunity for us to review the management objectives, and to set out our operations for the next ten years. This page will be regularly updated with information, documents and maps as the plan takes shape.
It is important that we understand why this area is important to the local community. Consultation with stakeholders (including the local community) is a requirement of the land management planning process, but it is also a valuable opportunity for FLS to engage with the public, talk about our work, and discover what's important to you.
A public drop-in event was held on Monday 22nd May at Kippford Village Hall. Thank you to everyone that attended, and we will be using your feedback to help shape how we manage Mark Hill over the next ten years.
- Spring 2023: Gathering of background information, including engagement with statutory agencies, forest users and the local community
- Summer 2023: Development of the new ten-year plan
- Summer 2023: Submission of plan to Scottish Forestry for regulatory approval
Maps and documents
- Map 1 - Location
- Map 2 - Features, Issues and Challenges
- Map 3 - Draft Concept
- Map 4 - Current Woodland and Proposed Felling
- Map 8 - Current Woodland Composition
- Map 9 - Soils
- Map 10 - DAMS (windiness)
- Map 11 - Landscape
- Map 12 - Heritage
- Appendix V - Historic Environment Records
- Map 13 - Visitor Zones
Get in touch
If you would like to comment or have any questions, please contact: