Polkemmet Land Management Plan
Polkemmet was purchased by Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS) in 2020 with the aim of establishing a new multipurpose woodland delivering timber production, carbon capture, biodiversity value, and social benefits on a former opencast coal mining site.
The site is located between the town of Whitburn and the villages of Harthill, Fauldhouse and Longridge in the West Lothian Council area. It extends to approximately 243 hectares and adjoins existing FLS land at Fauldhouse and West Benhar to the west (see Location Map).
West Benhar and Fauldhouse are covered by a separate Land Management Plan, which is due for renewal in 2028.
This draft land management plan is at a stage where we would like to hear your comments and feedback. We invite you to watch the introductory video, look through the draft land management plan documents and provide your feedback via the Google form below. Contact details at the bottom of this page are also available as an alternative channel for comments and questions.
- 2020: Site purchased
- 2022/2023: Site surveys and draft proposals
- June/July 2023: Public consultation on draft plan
- Late summer 2023: Draft plan sent to Scottish Forestry for approval
- Winter 2024/2025: Commencement of planting
Documents and maps
- Polkemmet Land Management Plan (PDF)
- Polkemmet Location Map (PDF)
- Polkemmet Access Map (PDF)
- Polkemmet Current Land Use Map (PDF)
- Polkemmet Context Map (PDF)
- Polkemmet Concept Map (PDF)
- Polkemmet Management Map (PDF)
- Polkemmet Planting Map (PDF)
- Polkemmet Future Habitats and Species Map (PDF)
- Polkemmet Habitat Restoration Map (PDF)
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions, please contact:
Forestry and Land Scotland
Five Sisters House