Skip to main content

Our visitor centres are currently closed. Our trails for walking and biking, as well as toilets and car parks, remain open. Plan ahead and enjoy your visit safely.


COVID-19 Notice (updated 19 February 2021)

FLS is following Scottish Government guidance on organised outdoor events and activities, in line with the Covid-19 guidance issued by Scottish sports governing bodies.

FLS recognises the potentially longer lead-in time for planning organised events and potential differences in protection levels across Scotland, and has commenced planning for events in/after 2021.

Organisers must follow Scottish Government guidance on travel and transport, particularly when potential participants may come from different areas of Scotland or elsewhere.

FLS Events FAQs (PDF 234KB)

I would like to:


Buy a parking permit

At some of our forests, we charge for car parking. The money you pay goes towards maintaining facilities – such as toilets, visitor centres and trail networks and looking after the forest and its wildlife. Wherever we charge, you’ll find further information on the webpage for that specific forest.

If you are a regular visitor to one of these forests, you may wish to purchase a parking permit. These can be bought by contacting your regional office.


Fly a drone in a forest

You’re allowed to fly a drone on Scotland’s national forests and land, as long as you’re following the Civil Aviation Authority’s guidelines, including the Drone Code, and all other legal requirements, such as those relating to privacy/data protection, wildlife disturbance and the Health and Safety at Work Act.

The CAA guidelines and Drone Code include the requirement to have your drone in sight at all times, which may not be possible in some forested areas.

All pilots must follow the Scottish Outdoor Access Code and respect other people’s interests, care for the environment and take responsibility for your own actions.

If you want to fly drones for professional reasons, please contact the relevant regional office to apply for permission as early as possible in your planning.


Obtain a firewood permit

Burning firewood can make a real saving on your home energy costs. Firewooding can be fun too.

Scavenging licences and firewood permits have been impacted by the ongoing COVID-19 situation. Visit our COVID-19 page for up to date information.

Firewood Permits (Bulk)

For significant bulk buying. Customers will use a forestry haulier to receive a delivery of generally 10 tonnes plus, in lengths of around 3m. Contact your regional office for more information and prices.

Firewood Permits (Semi-Bulk)

By appointment, customers can self-collect marked bundles of firewood – again in around 3m lengths. Bundles are generally less than 3 tonnes. Specific sites and collection times can be arranged via regional offices.

Scavenging Licences

Subject to availability within your local forest regional area and following the payment of a fee, customers can have access to a site for the purpose of collecting 'on-site' harvesting residues. Note hand tools only are permitted for this operation. The duration of a permit will be for a maximum of 3 months. Contact your regional office for more information.


Put on an event

If you are interested in organising an event in our forests, please read our Event Tips (PDF 116KB) and Checklist (PDF 230KB) to help you prepare. Depending on the nature of your event, you may need to obtain official permission to hold it.

Once you have completed the  Events Enquiry Form (PDF 121KB) please get in touch with the appropriate regional office.

Please make sure you allow enough time to plan your event. We use these minimum event planning times, from the National Access Forum’s Outdoor Events Guidance:

Event typeSmall eventMedium eventLarge event
Walking/running* 25-50 participants 50-200 participants 200+ participants
Cycling** 25-50 participants 50-100 participants 100+ participants
Equestrian 10-25 participants 25-50 participants 50+ participants
Planning lead time (minimum) 3-6 months 6-12 months 1-2 years

* includes orienteering, canicross and similar.
** includes triathlon, adventure racing, sled dog racing and similar.
NB. Group outings by club members are not classed as events.

For the most popular types of events, we have developed standard event agreement and permissions procedures. If your event falls into one of these categories please follow the procedures detailed in these documents. For all other events and additional facilities and services, we have a standard rate card (PDF 159KB).

Motorsports events

Permission and permits for motorsports events are managed through exclusive agreements with the Motorsport UK, the Auto Cycle Union (ACU) and the Scottish Auto Cycle Union (SACU):


Go horse riding in a forest

The forest trails are open to everyone under the Scottish Outdoor Access Code and we welcome horse riders to the forest. For the best places to ride and car parks to use, visit our Horse riding page or contact your regional office. BHS Scotland also provides some helpful responsible riding guidance.


Drive my vehicle off-road in a forest

Motor vehicles and motorbikes are not permitted in our forests other than for motorsports events held according to the policy and agreements above. Contact your regional office if you have any questions.


Film or photograph within a forest

Small-scale (handheld) filming may be carried out per the guidance set out in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (SOAC) (“to further people’s understanding of the natural or cultural heritage and which requires only hand-held equipment and involves no vehicles off the road”). Other filming requests must be submitted for our consideration and a fee will normally be payable, but please allow at least 6 weeks lead-in time (other than filming requests for news events which should be submitted to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.). Please contact the relevant regional office with a completed Filming Request Form. 


Go metal detecting within a forest

Metal detecting as an informal activity or hobby is not allowed on the land we manage. However, metal detecting may be permissible as part of an archaeological project (as part of a project design agreed in advance). This is to ensure that:

  • the work is undertaken in agreed locations to agreed standards and methodologies;
  • an agreement is in place to ensure the finder waives any right to reward in regard to any discoveries on Scotland's national forests and lands; and that
  • an agreement is in place in respect to the costs of any artefact conservation that may be required.

Further information is available in our Metal Detecting guidance note (PDF 556KB).


Place a geocache in a forest

Placing geocaches on the land we manage is allowed, subject to the conditions and guidance agreed with the Geocaching Association of Great Britain. 


Place a memorial in a forest

We are fortunate enough to manage many special places and wild landscapes that mean a great deal to many people. However, one of the main reasons these places are treasured, is precisely because they feel wild and natural.

We therefore ask people not to leave memorials in the forest – to respect the qualities that others have enjoyed and continue to enjoy.

Scattering ashes

As some of the habitats we manage are particularly fragile, containing rare plants and wildlife, we respectfully ask that you seek advice from your regional office before scattering ashes.


If leaving flowers, please choose a secluded spot, away from other visitors. Please ensure they are real flowers that will readily biodegrade back into the soil and that all containers, wrappings and ties are removed from the site and disposed of responsibly.

Memorial benches

Regrettably, we are unable to accept or maintain memorial benches or similar items in our forests.

Make a donation towards a project

While we can’t plant and maintain memorial trees, you may wish to make a contribution for a loved one to a wider project; helping us care for a site they particularly valued. Projects will vary from site to site but may include tree planting schemes, enhancing a view or improving visitor facilities, to help others enjoy a special place. Again, we regret that no attribution or memorial can be part of the project.

Please contact your regional office for further details.


Get married

If you wish to get married on Scotland’s national forests and land, there are a couple of options:

  • For low key, small weddings, you may be able to get married at one of our sites by simply exercising responsible access under the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (you’ll take the forest as you find it, making sure you don’t impact on other people’s enjoyment or hinder any operational activities). Please understand that if you choose this option, you can’t book your location, so we’d recommend you check it out beforehand for closures, operations, events etc.
  • For larger ceremonies or receptions, which involve marquees, toilets or other structures and a booked location, you will need to apply for a permit as far ahead as possible in advance. The National Access Forum’s guidance on holding an outdoor event, which includes advice on numbers, planning times and more, can be found here. For official information on getting married in Scotland, please click here.

For all weddings, if you’re having professional photos taken at the location, a wedding photography permit will be required and you will need to contact the relevant regional office at least 6 weeks in advance to apply and pay the wedding photography fee (£150 exc. VAT for 2020/21).

Get in touch

Can't find the information you're looking for? Contact your local Forestry and Land Scotland office.

Regional office contact details

Our website uses cookies.
We use cookies that are essential for the site to work. We also use non-essential cookies to help us improve our website. Any data collected is anonymised. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies and the options available.