Finlas Land Management Plan consultation
The Finlas Land Management Unit, part of the Galloway Forest Park, is located approximately 8 km south of Dalmellington, East Ayrshire. The plan area totals 900 ha however only 350 ha, a mix of coniferous species and native broadleaves, are managed for forestry. It is part of Scotland’s national forests and land owned by Scottish Ministers on behalf of the people of Scotland and managed by Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS).
FLS is revising the Finlas Land Management Plan (LMP) which will define management prescriptions for the next ten years (2024-34) and presents a long term vision of the area. It is an opportunity for us to review the management objectives, and to set out our operations for the next ten years. This page will be regularly updated with information, documents and maps as the plan takes shape. Draft versions of the plan will be published here and we invite comments and feedback from the public on all of our proposals.
Scoping consultation with stakeholders (including the local community) is a requirement of the land management planning process, but it is also a valuable opportunity for us to engage with the public, talk about our work, and discover what's important to you. The consultation is now closed, thank you to all those who took the time to comment.
- Development of draft brief and design concept | April - June 2023
- External stakeholder consultations | July 2023
- Public engagement event | July - August 2023
- Development of final plans | September – December 2023
- Submission to Scottish Forestry | January 2024
Plan documents and maps
- Map 1: Location map – location and boundary of the Finlas forest block
- Map 2: Key features map - shows the key features within and around the forest block
- Map 3: Draft analysis and concept map - shows the key factors that will influence the management of the forest block
- Map 3: Accessible text for Map 3
- Land management plan draft brief – provides an outline of the plan objectives and factors that will influence management of the forest block
Get in touch
If you would like to comment on the plan or receive further notification of plan developments, please contact:
Forestry and Land Scotland
20 Dalmellington Road
Straiton, South Ayrshire