North Argyll forests strategic plan consultation
Six forest and land holdings managed by Forestry and Land Scotland in the northern part of the historic county of Argyllshire – Brecklet, Glenachulish, Duror, Bealach, Appin and Creran – are covered by this Strategic Plan. Combined, the holdings cover 9,760 ha and comprise conifer and broadleaved woodland, hills (including two Munros) and five glens, orientated North, South and West facing, draining to coastal waters of significant importance, many with international designations.
The individual forests are linked by large extents of open land as well as the roads (A828 and A82) which are the main links between Oban and Fort William and a key route for travellers to North Lorn from the central belt.
Several of the forests have extensive areas of Ancient Semi-Natural Woodland (ASNW) and Plantations on Ancient Woodland Sites (PAWS); Creran supports a native woodland SSSI and SAC and much of the linked land holding is covered by a variety of designations. A variety of priority open habitats can be found across the open ground, which comprises 66% of the land area within the Strategic Plan. This includes blanket bog; mesotrophic wet springs and flushes; calcareous grassland and upland heathland, as well as montane scrub.
The Strategic Plan is underpinned by separate Land Management Plans (LMPs) for the individual forests, which are at different stages of approval and implementation, as well as deer management and open habitat management plans covering the area as a whole. The maps provide more detail on the different features in the forests and associated open ground and the priorities for management.
The North Argyll Strategic Plan is not a statutory requirement – plan approvals are linked to each individual LMP in the area. However, comments are invited - using the contact details provided. Further details can be provided on request.
- Land Management Plan Brief - Strategic plan North Argyll forests (PDF)
- North Argyll strategic plan (PDF)
- North Argyll strategic plan appendices (PDF)
- North Argyll open habitats management and woodlands expansion project (PDF)
- Location map (PDF)
- Overall context map (PDF)
- Concept map (PDF)
- Key designations map (PDF)
- ASNW and PAWS map (PDF)
- Open habitats and pot woodland map (PDF)
- Pot woodland map - Duror Glenachulish (PDF)
- Pot woodland map - Bealach (PDF)
- Pot woodland map - Appin (PDF)
- Pot woodland map - Creran North (PDF)
- Pot woodland map - Creran South (PDF)
- Open habitats map - Brecklet (PDF)
- North Argyll sites vulnerable to browsing (PDF)
- Existing species map (PDF)
- Future forest map (PDF)
- Future forest map - Duror Glenachulish (PDF)
- Future forest map - Appin (PDF)
- Future forest map - Bealach (PDF)
- Herbivore impact assessment map (PDF)
- Strategic plan - deer impact map (PDF)
- Strategic plan - priorities map (PDF)
- Potential fence options map (PDF)
- North Argyll roads and tracks map (PDF)
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact:
Dr Mandie Currie
Forestry and Land Scotland