Lossie land management plan
Lossie Forest covers a total area of 818ha and extends along the Moray coast between the settlements of Lossiemouth to the West and Kingston to the East. The main access to the forest is off the B9103 leading to Lossiemouth or along the coastal footpath from Lossiemouth or Kingston. The forest is a single block of predominantly coniferous woodland, of plantation origin with Pine (Scots and Corsican), currently being the primary species.
The primary objectives for this block are the continued production of high quality timber and the preservation of the biodiversity and heritage value of the site. The secondary objective for the future management of the woodland is to maintain the quality of the site for recreation.
The production of quality timber will be under low impact silvicultural systems (LISS) which will also enhances the recreational and biodiversity of the environment as Lossie forest is ideally suited to LISS.
The Lossie plan area contains part of two designated areas. Spey Bay SSSI and Lower River Spey / Spey Bay SAC.
During the development of the land management plan for Lossie we have consulted widely including with local community representatives and stakeholders known to have an interest in the plan area.
The plan has been approved and is now active. It is scheduled to be renewed in December 2028
Land management plan documents and maps
- Plan summary (PDF 0.3MB) - a short summary of the land management plan.
- Approved land management plan (PDF 2.6MB) - details our objectives for the area and our management proposals.
- Appendices 1 to 4 (PDF 6.4MB)
- Appendices 5 to 7 (PDF 2.9MB)
- Location map (PDF 0.7MB) - shows the location of Lossie in relation to the local area.
- Key features map (PDF 1.9MB) - shows the key features that will influence the management of the forest.
- Current species map (PDF 2.5MB) - shows the current tree species that are growing in Lossie.
- Analysis and concept map (PDF 3.9MB) - shows how the key features will influence the management of the forest.
- Management map (PDF 4.0MB) - shows the proposed management for the area.
- LISS map (PDF 3.4MB) - shows what types of low impact silviculture we intend to use within the area.
- Thinning map (PDF 1.2MB) - shows what year we plan to undertake the thinning within the area.
- Future species map (PDF 1.9MB) - shows the tree species that are proposed to be growing in the area at the end of the plan period.
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact: