Heart of Scotland land management plan
This land management plan sets out proposals to be undertaken by Forestry and Land Scotland in the forest blocks that make up the Heart of Scotland Land Management Plan area. These combined forest blocks are located within North Lanarkshire. The total plan area is 669.35 hectares.
Key considerations in the plan include the creation of peatland habitat, plant health and controlling the spread of the damaging plant disease Phytophthora ramorum, access both for future operations and recreation, timber production and wildlife management.
The plan area and individual sub-blocks are shown in Map 1 – Location and Context
A brief summary of our proposals can be found here:
Timeline of the plan
- May 2021: Internal scoping meeting to identify key considerations for next plan.
- July - September 2021: Baseline desk and site surveys and site meetings.
- September 2021 – October 2021: Production of draft plan.
- November - December 2021: Draft plan presentation to internal teams, revisions and further consultation with stakeholders.
- February 2022: Submission to Scottish Forestry - consultation with local community and statutory stakeholders. As part of the approval process, the plan was placed on Scottish Forestry’s public register for 28 days.
- September 2022: Plan formally approved.
- Heart of Scotland Land management plan: Main document (PDF)
- Heart of Scotland Land management plan: Appendices (PDF)
- Location and context (PDF): Maps showing the location of each forest block within the plan
- Designations (PDF): Maps detailing the land designations and protected areas covering each forest block
- Soil and hydrology (PDF): Maps showing the soil types and drainage networks
- Existing forest (PDF): Maps showing the existing forest species and habitats
- Analysis (PDF): Maps illustrating key features, opportunities and constraints which led to the initial concepts
- Concept design (PDF): Following from the survey and analysis, these maps show the initial concepts of management
- Management coupes and silviculture (PDF): Maps showing proposed management coupes and the management types
- Felling proposals (PDF): Maps illustrating the proposed felling and operational access
- Thinning proposals (PDF): Maps illustrating the proposed thinning areas
- Forest access (PDF): Maps identifying the key visitor zones under management
- Future habitats and species (PDF): Maps showing the proposed habitats and species
Get in touch
If you would like to comment on the plan or receive further notification of plan developments, please contact:
Forestry and Land Scotland
Five Sisters House
Five Sisters Business Park