Kilvrecht Campsite (closed)
Some FLS visitor centres are offering a reduced service, with walking and mountain bike trails remaining open, as are most toilets and car parks. Please check below for local updates on any closures.
We want to ensure your visit is an enjoyable and safe one.
Make sure you follow the Scottish Government’s FACTS advice – helping to protect yourself, your family and your local community, and follow the Scottish Outdoor Access Code helping to keep Scotland beautiful.
Latest forest information
- CAR PARK OPEN: The forest car park at Kilvrecht is open.
- CAMPSITE CLOSED: The campsite and toilets at Kilvrecht are currently closed.
- Due to unforeseen circumstances the recruitment of our campsite warden has been delayed. The revised date for opening is now late May 2021. Please continue to check these pages for updates, if we can open sooner we will. FLS apologises for any inconvenience this may cause. We will be operating an online booking system, which we will launch shortly before we open. Bookings will need to be made 48 hours in advance.
Peaceful forest campsite above Loch Rannoch in Highland Perthshire
If you are looking for a campsite that offers nightly entertainment, bars and restaurants then this is not the place for you. Kilvrecht Campsite is camping and caravanning on a basic level with a real back-to-nature feel. What is in abundance is the fresh air, wildlife and peace and quiet amongst a woodland setting. If you want to relax in beautiful surroundings, listen to the sound of birds singing around your tent, then Kilvrecht is the place for you.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, bookings must be made a minimum of 48 hours in advance.
Opening & closing dates
Due to COVID-19, we are unable to open on 1 April as per previous years. However, we hope to be able to welcome visitors back to Kilvrecht Campsite in late May 2021, pending the easing of restrictions.
For the new season Kilvrecht will be operated using an online booking system, which we will launch shortly before we open. Keep a check on these pages for opening dates and booking page links.
- Arrivals permitted between 2pm and 8pm.
- Site must be vacated by 11am on day of your departure.
- We require 48 hour minimum advanced booking.
- We do not allow large group bookings.
- For special events and wedding bookings see our events page.
- High season: 1 July - 31 August
- Low season: All other times
|Type||Low Season||High Season|
|Grass Touring Pitch||£15||£18|
|Hardstanding touring pitch*||£18||£20|
|Backpackers tent (no car)**||£5||£7|
|Extra child (age 5 - 16)||£1||£1|
|Long Stays ( > 28 nights)||Contact us for more information|
|Motorhome water service||£5***|
- All prices per night
- *Price includes two people & one vehicle
- **Price includes up to two people without vehicles
- ***Please call our warden to book a time
- Max 6 people per booking including adults and children
- One tourer or tent per pitch
- Only one additional vehicle permitted per pitch
- Pets are welcome on all areas, however please ensure they are kept under close control at all times
We have a special place for everyone at Kilvrecht, and you are welcome to pitch your tent or park your van anywhere in our grass fields. Our fields can get soggy during periods of rain and even when its dry there are places to avoid when choosing your pitch. On arrival you are encouraged to walk over your chosen pitch and satisfy yourself that the ground conditions are suitable for your vehicle. Avoid driving down into low lying areas after heavy rain. When on site our warden will be more than happy to help you find the best spot. We have two hardstanding touring pitches which can be booked individually.
Pets are welcome on all areas, however please ensure they are kept under close control at all times.
The Central Field
This is the largest of all camping areas at Kilvrecht. This attractive open grassy area has the benefit of being level with good road access to pitches via a circular access track. Located to the west side are the toilet block, washing area and chemical disposal point. It also contains our two individually bookable surfaced pitches ideal for larger motorhomes. Taps and grey water disposal points are located around the perimeter of the area.
The Riverside Field
Located alongside the Allt na Bogair burn and is accessed down a sloping gravel track to the west of the Central Field. If you like to fall asleep to the sound of tumbling water then this is the site for you, but be aware this sheltered riverside location is also a favourite home for our Scottish midge.
The Back Fields
These are a series of mowed spaces hidden amongst the trees to the south of the Central area which offer a more intimate and sheltered camping experience. Accessed via a gravel track which weaves through the woodlands, you can choose your spot either at roadside or explore on foot to find a more private glade to pitch in. At the end of this area are our three stonewalled tent shelters which would be an ideal choice for campers during stormy weather. Taps and grey water disposal points are located within this area.
The Lower Field
Situated to the north of the Central Area and comprising gently sloping grassland to a lower level area. This area can be difficult to access with heavier vehicles during or after periods of wet weather. As such it is most suitable for tents.
- Booking: Arrivals permitted between 2pm and 8pm. Site must be vacated by 11am on day of your departure. We require 48 hour minimum advanced booking. We do not allow large group bookings.
- Warden hours: Our Wardens' hours are flexible but they will be on site between 8am-11:30am and 5pm-8pm.
- Cancellations: We operate a non-refund policy for all bookings cancelled within 72 hours of arrival date.
- Conduct: Please respect your fellow campers and keep noise to a minimum between 11pm and 7am. Be aware we cater for lots of young families. If any complaints are received regarding your conduct then you will be asked to leave the site with no refund.
- Pets: Dogs are welcome and should be kept under close control at all times. Please clean up after your dog and do not allow fouling of the camping areas and path network.
- Health and Safety: Please ensure children are supervised appropriately. Parents/guardians are responsible for ensuring they can explore safely here. The vehicle speed limit on site is strictly 10mph.
- Fires: Fires are not permitted at Kilvrecht. BBQ's are permitted but must be raised off the ground and kept well clear of trees. Please ensure BBQ's are not left unattended and safely extinguished after use. Forestry and Land Scotland may during times of high fire risk prevent the use of BBQ’s.
- Waste: Please dispose of general waste and recycling in the bins provided.
Right from the door of your tent or van you can access the Carie trails. Relax above the shores of Loch Rannoch, or hike up the stunning gorge. Look out for stands of ancient Scots pine, and views over the nearby Black Wood of Rannoch.
Facilities & access
We have female, male and accessible toilet blocks, a chemical toilet disposal point, clothes/dish washing facilities, and various drinking water points. There is no hot water in the toilet block therefore no formal shower facilities. There are wet room cubicles in both male and female toilets which contain a large sink for personal washing. Hooks are provided for solar shower use.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, Kilvrecht Campsite will not open on 1 April 2021, as per previous years. However, we hope to be able to welcome visitors back to Kilvrecht Campsite at the beginning of May 2021, pending the easing of restrictions. The forest car park remains open as normal.
Food and drink
Some refreshments and a small shop are available at the nearby village of Kinloch Rannoch, 3 miles to the east. The towns of Pitlochry and Aberfeldy, both 20 miles away, offer a range of shops and places to eat and drink.
Chemical waste disposal
We now offer chemical waste disposal and water collection for non-residents for a £5 cash-only charge. We do not have a drive over grey water disposal point, but grey waste can be disposed of from a portable tank at one of our grey water disposal points. Please call our warden to book arrange a time slot.
Kilvrecht is about 3 miles west of Kinloch Rannoch on the unclassified South Loch Rannoch road. When in Kinloch Rannoch, look for the brown signs with a tent and caravan symbol on them.
PH17 2QJ is the nearest postcode.
Get in touch
Have a question or suggestion for improvement?