Thursday, 08 June 2023
Latest forest information
- The campsite will be open between Friday 31 March and Sunday 29 October in 2023.
- Due to over-running campsite improvement works we have had to freeze all new bookings until 5 April 2023. We apologise for any inconvenience.
- This destination contains areas of open water which can be hazardous if you are not suitably prepared. Follow our water safety advice and take care.
Peaceful forest campsite above Loch Rannoch in Highland Perthshire
If you are looking for a campsite that offers nightly entertainment, bars and restaurants then this is not the place for you. Kilvrecht Campsite is camping and caravanning on a basic level with a real back-to-nature feel. What is in abundance is the fresh air, wildlife and peace and quiet amongst a woodland setting. If you want to relax in beautiful surroundings, listen to the sound of birds singing around your tent, then Kilvrecht is the place for you.
The site is open throughout the summer. The last booking night for the 2023 season will be Sunday 29 October. The campsite will open for bookings from Wednesday 15 March.
- arrivals permitted any time after 12 midday
- site must be vacated by 11am on day of your departure
- we do not allow large group bookings
- for special events and wedding bookings see our events page
- high season: 1 July - 31 August
- low season: All other times
|Type||Low Season||High Season|
|Grass Touring Pitch||£15||£18|
|Hardstanding touring pitch*||£18||£20|
|Backpackers tent (no car)**||£5||£7|
|Extra child (age 5 - 16)||£1||£1|
|Long Stays ( > 28 nights)||Contact us for more information|
|Motorhome water service||£5***|
- all prices per night
- *price includes two people & one vehicle
- **price includes up to two people without vehicles
- ***please call our warden to book a time
- max 6 people per booking including adults and children
- one tourer or tent per pitch
- only one additional vehicle permitted per pitch
- pets are welcome on all areas, however please ensure they are kept under close control at all times
We have a special place for everyone at Kilvrecht, and you are welcome to pitch your tent or park your van anywhere in our grass fields. Our fields can get soggy during periods of rain and even when its dry there are places to avoid when choosing your pitch. On arrival you are encouraged to walk over your chosen pitch and satisfy yourself that the ground conditions are suitable for your vehicle. Avoid driving down into low lying areas after heavy rain. When on site our warden will be more than happy to help you find the best spot. We have two hardstanding touring pitches which can be booked individually. Pictures of each site location are shown above.
Pets are welcome on all areas, however please ensure they are kept under close control at all times.
The Central Field
This is the largest of all camping areas at Kilvrecht. This attractive open grassy area has the benefit of being level with good road access to pitches via a circular access track. Located to the west side are the toilet block, washing area and chemical disposal point. It also contains our two individually bookable surfaced pitches ideal for larger motorhomes. Taps and grey water disposal points are located around the perimeter of the area.
The Riverside Field
Located alongside the Allt na Bogair burn and is accessed down a sloping gravel track to the west of the Central Field. If you like to fall asleep to the sound of tumbling water then this is the site for you, but be aware this sheltered riverside location is also a favourite home for our Scottish midge.
The Back Fields
These are a series of mowed spaces hidden amongst the trees to the south of the Central area which offer a more intimate and sheltered camping experience. Accessed via a gravel track which weaves through the woodlands, you can choose your spot either at roadside or explore on foot to find a more private glade to pitch in. At the end of this area are our three stonewalled tent shelters which would be an ideal choice for campers during stormy weather. Taps and grey water disposal points are located within this area.
The Lower Field
Situated to the north of the Central Area and comprising gently sloping grassland to a lower level area. This area can be difficult to access with heavier vehicles during or after periods of wet weather. As such it is most suitable for tents.
- Booking and Arrivals: Arrivals permitted any time after 12 midday. Site must be vacated by 11am on day of your departure. We do not allow large group bookings.
- Warden hours: Our Wardens' hours are flexible but they will be on site for a period in the morning and again in the afternoon or early evening. Check the wardens hut for more information on warden times.
- Cancellations: We operate a non-refund policy for all bookings cancelled within 72 hours of arrival date. No refunds will be given for early departures.
- Conduct: Please respect your fellow campers and keep noise to a minimum between 10pm and 7am. Be aware we cater for lots of young families. If any complaints are received regarding your conduct then you will be asked to leave the site with no refund.
- Generators: Generators may be used only at the discretion of the site Warden who will advise you of the most appropriate running times. Only generators marketed as silent will be permitted. Maximum noise level ~ 60dBA. Please note that we may ask you to stop using the generator if it causes a disturbance to other residents.
- Pets: Dogs are welcome and should be kept under close control at all times. Please clean up after your dog and do not allow fouling of the camping areas and path network. Dog waste can be put in our general waste bin at the waste disposal area.
- Health and Safety: Please ensure children are supervised appropriately. Parents/guardians are responsible for ensuring they can explore safely here. The vehicle speed limit on site is strictly 10mph.
- Fires: Open fires are not permitted at Kilvrecht. BBQ's are permitted but must be raised off the ground and kept well clear of trees. Please ensure BBQ's are not left unattended and safely extinguished after use. Fire extinguisher boxes are stationed throughout the site and at the Warden’s hut. In the event of fire, contact 999 immediately and make your way to the muster point near the refuse/recycling point. Forestry and Land Scotland may during times of high fire risk prevent the use of BBQ’s.
- Waste: Please dispose of general waste and recycling correctly in the bins provided by the main gate.
Right from the door of your tent or van you can access the Carie trails. Relax above the shores of Loch Rannoch, or hike up the stunning gorge. Look out for stands of ancient Scots pine, and views over the nearby Black Wood of Rannoch.
You can fish Loch Rannoch for trout, pike and perch. Permits can be bought from The Country Store in Kinloch Rannoch or online via the Loch Rannoch Conservation Association.
Facilities and access
We have female, male and accessible toilet blocks, a chemical toilet disposal point, clothes/dish washing facilities, and various drinking water points. There is no hot water in the toilet block therefore no formal shower facilities. There are wet room cubicles in both male and female toilets which contain a large sink for personal washing. Hooks are provided for solar shower use.
The site will be open between Friday 31 March and Sunday 29 October in 2023.
Bookings open from Wednesday 15 March 2023.
The forest car park remains open as normal.
Food and drink
Some refreshments and a small shop are available at the nearby village of Kinloch Rannoch, 3 miles to the east. The towns of Pitlochry and Aberfeldy, both 20 miles away, offer a range of shops and places to eat and drink.
Chemical waste disposal
We now offer chemical waste disposal and water collection for non-residents for a £5 cash-only charge. We do not have a drive over grey water disposal point, but grey waste can be disposed of from a portable tank at one of our grey water disposal points. Please call our warden to book arrange a time slot.
Kilvrecht is about 3 miles west of Kinloch Rannoch on the unclassified South Loch Rannoch road. When in Kinloch Rannoch, look for the brown signs with a tent and caravan symbol on them.
PH17 2QJ is the nearest postcode.
Get in touch
Have a question or suggestion for improvement?