Leanachan land management plan consultation
Leanachan Forest is a predominantly conifer forest covering over 3,100ha in the Great Glen to the north east of Fort William. It lies on the northern lower slopes of Aonach Mor, Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis mountain range and as such forms the lower frame of the mountain view from the Commando Memorial and other view point across the Great Glen. The Nevis Range ski and mountain bike centre is in the heart of the forest, which along with the North Face car park, make it a popular destination for outdoor activities.
In addition to the forests importance in timber production and recreation opportunities the area is part of a red squirrel stronghold area and contains the Lon Leanachain bog habitat SSSI .
We are at an early stage in the process of updating the land management plan for this forest and welcome your initial questions and comments on the draft plan brief below.
The brief is the principle document which describes the plan area and summarises the main economic, environmental and social issues to be considered.
The 2 appendices provide more detail on the different features of the forest and the priorities for management and are included for information:
- Appendix 1 – Strategic directions tables describes in more detail the contribution Leanachan forest can make to the delivery of the strategic directions for Lochaber FD
- Appendix 2 – Forest zones descriptions divides the forest into 3 zones of different character and priorities for the purposes on preparing the overall LMP. It should be read with the accompanying map.
- September 2022 - Final draft in preparation
Documents and maps
- Land management plan brief
- Appendix 1: Strategic directions tables
- Appendix 2: Forest zone descriptions
- Location map
- Concept map
Get in touch
If you would like further information or have any questions about this plan, please contact:
Forestry and Land Scotland