Selm Muir Land Management Plan
This Land Management Plan (LMP) covers Selm Muir forest, an area of land covering 91.5 hectares which was acquired by Forestry and Land Scotland in 1952. It is located at the south-eastern corner of the Central Scottish Lowlands, within the local authority area of West Lothian Council. Livingston is the nearest large town, approximately 3 kilometres away, with a population of ~57,000 residents. Although not officially a WIAT woodland (Woodlands In and Around Towns challenge fund), Selm Muir serves many local communities, providing a well-used outdoor resource for informal recreation.
- June 2021: Internal scoping meeting to identify key considerations for next plan.
- July - September 2021: Baseline desk and site surveys, and site meetings.
- September 2021 - January 2022: Production of draft plan.
- February 2022: Draft plan presentation to internal teams, revisions and further consultations with stakeholders.
- March 2022: Submission to Scottish Forestry - consultation with local community and statutory stakeholders. As part of the approval process, the plan was placed on Scottish Forestry’s public register for 28 days.
- June 2022: Plan formally approved.
Documents and maps
- Land Management Plan - Main Document (PDF)
- Map 1: Forest location and context (PDF)
- Map 2: The existing forest (PDF)
- Map 3: Soils and hydrology (PDF)
- Map 4: Wider conservation and heritage features (PDF)
- Map 5: Wider forest habitat network (PDF)
- Map 6: Wider landscape (PDF)
- Map 7: Locally important features (PDF)
- Map 8: Analysis of constraints and opportunities (PDF)
- Map 9: Concept design (PDF)
- Map 10: Management coupes, clearfell phases and proposed forest roads (PDF)
- Map 11: LISS and other low impact management areas (PDF)
- Map 12: LMP ten year felling and thinning coupes (PDF)
- Map 13: Future habitats and species (PDF)
- Map 14: Woodland management in Visitor Zones (PDF)
Get in touch
If you would like to receive notification of further developments with the plan, please contact:
Forestry and Land Scotland
Five Sisters House
Five Sisters Business Park